Call 07 3171 2229 for a confidential consultation or message us

Child Protection


The involvement of the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women (Child Safety) is difficult for any family. Our experienced solicitors provide empathetic advice and legal representation to clients who have children in the care of Child Safety and are navigating difficult proceedings before a Childrens Court.

Our experienced solicitors can assist you in a number of areas, including:

Court Assessment Orders
The Office of the Child and Family Official Solicitor (OCFOS) may file an ‘Application for a Court Assessment Order’ in a Children’s Court. This application is filed in Court when Child Safety believe there is risk to a child remaining in the care of a parent and they wish to undertake further investigations.

Child Protection Orders
If Child Safety believe a child is at risk and there is no parent able and willing to care for the child, they will refer the matter to the Director of Child Protection Litigation (DCPL). DCPL is the government body who litigates matters before the Childrens Court.

DCPL may file an ‘Application for a Child Protection Order’ for a Short Term Custody Order (up to two years), or a Long Term Guardianship Order (until the child turns eighteen years of age).

Any application filed in Court by OCFOS or the DCPL is difficult to deal with and upsetting for a parent. Our solicitors therefore assist parents in communicating with Child Safety, participating in Family Group Meetings, and attending Court.

Family Group Meetings and Case Plan Review Meetings

Even if a Child Protection Order has been made, it is important that children know and have a relationship with their biological parents. We can therefore continue to assist parents in negotiating contact and participating in meetings with Child Safety every six or twelve months, depending on the type of Child Protection Order made.

Click here to learn more about Family Group Meetings.

Legal Aid preferred supplier 

We are a Legal Aid Queensland preferred supplier.  Should you require representation, funded by Legal Aid Queensland, please download the form here. You may email us the completed and signed form, with your supporting financial documents to

You must provide us with the following documents, in addition to your signed form:

  • Centrelink Income Statement;
  • Bank statements for the past three months from all financial institutions where you have accounts;
  • Copy of your Pension or Health Care Card;
  • If you are working, payslips for at least the last four weeks (or a letter from your employer confirming your income);
  • Proof of your self-employed income; and
  • Copies of any court documents you have received or filed.

Tell us about your family law needs
Make a confidential enquiry now

76 Skyring Terrace, Newstead QLD 4006

Newstead, New Farm, Teneriffe, Fortitude Valley, Spring Hill, Albion, Hamilton, Eagle Farm, Ascot, Clayfield.

© Sambanis Family Law - All Rights Reserved